Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Wedding Gift

I was hired out a little while ago to make a wall hanging as a wedding gift for one of my mother-in-law's friends. She sent me a baggie full of ribbon and her only specifications for this project were to use the Proverbs 16:24 verse and to have the ribbon dangling from it. She had seen a wall hanging that I had made my mother-in-law a while back that was to be used for displaying cards from. Here is the link to the one I had made myself in the past.
Stamps: none
Ink: none
Paper: Frosty Days dsp, Whisper White
Accessories: Paper Blooms, dew drops, Pretties kit, Labels 4 Nestabilities, frame, ribbon
I'm going to be honest. While I like this project, it was a hardship getting to the end result. Coming up with the layout and putting all the goodies and bling on it was fun, as always. When I went to assemble it, that is where the challenge came in. This frame is not the highest quality, so I had to reinforce the back with some hodgepodge that you obviously don't see. In doing so, I had to drill some small holes in the back, but I did not have any tacks or tiny nails to fasten it down. I did find some smaller nails in my husband's tool chest, so I thought 'aha, I will clip these babies down and that should do the trick.' I grabbed some needle nose pliers and decided to 'clip' the nails down to the appropriate size.

The first one was a breeze, but the second one not so much. I think it would have worked perfectly had I not gotten the meat of my hand caught in the clippers. Yes, you read that right, I took a chunk out of my hand in between my thumb and my pointer finger. Ok, it's not as bad as it sounds. I can move my hand, but it certainly 'smarts' if you know what I mean. I'm pretty sure I won't be crafting anymore tonight, but hopefully I'll be up for it tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Well, Cassie, it is a beautiful gift! I couldnt help laughing out loud (yes enough to write out all the words) as a reaction to your injury, as I hope you are okay, it is just so typical of you and me to find a way to get injured. (weedwacking anyone?) Anyway, gorgeous wall hanging! the recieptent will be thrilled. Wish I could get "hired out"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just stunning. What a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUCH! So sorry Cassie:( The wall hanging came out beautiful though, and I'm so glad you like the little butterflies:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty gift...but what a trail getting there girl! Hope your hand is better in the morning...but this is really stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CASSIE! I am cringing and hurting for you. Are you okay? Did you have a lot of bleeding? Ouch, girlfriend!

    The project is lovely. You literally can say you put blood, sweat and maybe some tears into it! It's breathtaking.

    Do you crochet your own embellishments? I started making some and they are such fun! Now that I'm "settled" (somewhat) in our home, I should pull out my crochet thread & make some more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute.!! Wall hanging as a wedding gift would be great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I always appreciate your sweet words :)